Ezra Miller issues apology, says they’ve begun treatment for “complex mental health issues” following “intense crisis“
The Flash star Ezra Miller has broken their silence over a series of troubling incidents that had many online calling for the actor to be ‘cancelled’.
In a new statement (August 15), released via a representative, Miller said:
The 29-year-old actor, who is queer and uses they/them pronouns, allegedly became agitated when patrons at the bar in Hilo began singing karaoke.
On April 19, Miller pleaded no contest and was fined $500 for the disorderly conduct charge, court records show, while the harassment charge was dismissed.
Earlier that same day (April 19), Miller was arrested for second-degree assault following an incident at a private residence in the district of Puna, near the town of Pāhoa, according to reports from the Hawaii Police Department.
Records show there has not been any subsequent charges filed related to that incident, but it definitely didn’t go unnoticed in the press and on social media.
Miller also faced allegations in the state related to their living situation with an unnamed young mother and her three children.
Rolling Stone reported that Vermont’s child services department had begin investigating Miller due to concerns that the actor was concealing the family’s whereabouts, and that the mother and children’s “safety cannot be reassured.”
According to a court document seen by Rolling Stone, Miller told police the family have not lived there for months.
The Flash is reportedly still set for release on June 23, 2023.
Variety reportes that a source close to the situation claims Warner Bros. supports Miller’s decision to seek professional help, while a Hollywood Reporter insider previously shared one of the studio’s contingency plans was a Miller apology tour followed by “limited press.”
Miller’s relationship with public controversy began in 2020, after a video emerged online (below) appearing to show Miller choking a fan outside a bar in Reykjavik, Iceland.