Ricky Martin reps shut down “disgusting” claims he had a sexual relationship with step-nephew after reports circulate that he faces 50 years in prison.
Earlier this month it was revealed that a domestic violence-related restraining order had been filed against singer Ricky Martin.
Martin offered comment the following day, in a tweet vehemently denying the “completely false” claims, with representatives for the singer also denying the charges.
Ricky then became a top trending topic on social media (July 15) after a publication reported that his brother, Eric Martin, had confirmed the identity of the claimant as being 21-year-old Dennis Yadiel Sanchez, the son of Martin’s stepsister.
Marca reported that the penalty Martin faces would be more severe if the allegations that his step-nephew is the petitioner are true, claiming that the added element of “incest” can carry a sentence of up to 50 years.
Responding to these fresh allegations, representatives for the the 50-year-old singer have told Deadline he never had “any kind of sexual or romantic relationship with his nephew,”
“Unfortunately, the person who made this claim is struggling with deep mental health challenges,” Martin’s lawyer, Marty Singer, told the outlet.
“Ricky Martin has, of course, never been — and would never be– involved in any kind of sexual or romantic relationship with his nephew,” the Hollywood heavyweight litigator added. “The idea is not only untrue, it is disgusting.”
“We all hope that this man gets the help he so urgently needs,” Singer added. “But, most of all, we look forward to this awful case being dismissed as soon as a judge gets to look at the facts.”
The singer is accused of “‘exercising physical and psychological attacks” on his step-nephew during a seven month relationship, which reportedly came to an end around two months ago.
A hearing has been set for July 21 in Puerto Rico.
It comes as Martin also faces a $3 million lawsuit from his on/ off manager, Rebecca Drucker over unpaid commissions.
According to legal documents filed with the Los Angeles Central District Court on June 29, obtained by PEOPLE, the 15-page complaint claimed that Drucker helped Martin through “recording contracts, touring and sponsorship deals, and other professional endeavors,” adding, “With Rebecca at his side, Martin made millions of dollars and therefore owes Rebecca substantial commissions.”
Drucker says she initially represented Martin from 2014 to 2018 but stepped back in in 2020 when his ‘personal and professional life [were] in absolute turmoil,’ according to court documents.
She says she went on to help him make millions of dollars through tours (including one with Enrique Iglesias), recording contracts, and sponsorships, and helped him to get back on track.
Drucker is suing for $3million plus punitive damages.